Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Being John Mangovich

I'm sure this happens to a lot of other people, but I find it particularly amusing in my own experiences: almost every morning I wake up with a completely random song in my head. This song will follow me through my morning routine (while my brain is still on autopilot) and then, much like even the best dreams of rubbing bellies with 'Genie in a Bottle'-era Christina Aguilera, the song fades away by the time I get to work.

I think these random songs must have some sort of correlation to my inner psyche and hence, by sharing them whenever I can remember them, I hope to provide some sort of excursion on The Brain of Brian; the ride.

This morning was actually one of the more normal songs of late, but the lyrics suddenly struck me as particularly apropos of current events, and it made me question exactly how random the early morning jukebox that is my brain really is.

The scene: Beaumont, TX, 1998-1999, I'm cruising around town in my maroon, 4-door, 105 horsepower Toyota Camry with a butt-cut. I'm probably wearing khakis and a white picque polo; as that was my Catholic high school uniform option of choice. The weather's nice, so I'm bumping some good mood music - Reel Big Fish - Turn the Radio Off album. The song: All I Want Is More.

Here's an audio clip.

In my mind, this song is totally for fun and takes me back to the good-old days of senior year when all I had to do was party balls and not be late for curfew or get caught by Mom and Dad. The line that made me think a little harder into what the song's actually about is: "someday, maybe she'll come back to me and I'll say, 'why don't you go fuck yourself!'" Is the inner Brian trying to give me hints at how to handle the 'K' situation? Interesting. Let's see what pops up tomorrow. From now on out, the Subconcious Jukebox Song of the Day will pop up on the blog if I can keep it in my head long enough to remember.

***
Here's a fun one for the day. Apparently guys like us are reincarnated as pelicans.
***
EDIT: Shruti found this link explaning the whole 'song stuck in your head' phenomenon. They're called earworms.

2 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i keep on waking up to tiny dancer by elton john, im not sure what thay says about me

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Brian said...

you know how i know YOU'RE gay?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home