Friday, February 24, 2006

Sexual Chocolate


I checked out the Dave Chappelle Block Party show at Verizon Theater last night with my buddies John and Rey. I must admit I am a little bitter about paying something like $1.50 per minute for not a whole lotta standup, because if you think of getting a fresh beer at the bar every 2 minutes for 50 minutes, that's a lot of beer and everything would end up being as funny as if Chappelle said it anyways.

I was impressed with the performances from supporting acts Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and Erykah Badu, although I'm just not into their stuff that much. Rap over a backing track just never seems that impressive, no matter how deep or politically cutting the lyrics are. Erykah's got great talent and stage presence, but the style's a little to amelodic and jazzy for me. Guess I'm not black enough (checks penis size). Yup, definitely not black enough.

There were a couple of running themes in the night
1) Being black is many much better than being not black. They get to say the 'N' word all cool-like and we don't.

2) Dave talking about pussy is funny. He did like half of his time on what he'd do as a gynecologist and how the 5 senses disagree almost entirely with the concept of vagina ("it only feels good").

3) Houston should be proud of sheltering Katrina victims. They even brought out our congresswoman to tout this point. This felt mostly like a PR guilt trip, because I'm of the opinion that Houstonians are generally annoyed by our 'guests', but maybe I'm just bitter cuz my rent took a $100 surge thanks to a saturated rental market.

4) Chappelle can do anything he wants. He showed up an hour late; did 2 sets for a total of 50 minutes out of a 5 hour show, and walked away from 50 million.

He's Rick James, Bitch.

1 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger Richard said...

Eh... It's supposed to be a concert. I bet you were one of those assholes yelling "I'm Rick James, bitch!" in the crowd and elbowing your friends. Pissing him off. Fucko.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home